Friday, November 15, 2013

Patong!

On Thursday we spent the day exploring Patong. Caitlin's family has been vacationing in Patong for years and years so it was awesome to be shown around by a veteran. She even told me how her family was here during the Tsunami of 2004!! Terrifying. Thank goodness her family was all okay!

We started the day off with Starbucks, which I admit I didn't realize they had here! It really is all over...haha. It was fun to get a Peppermint Mocha frappuccino! Since they only sell it in the winter stateside, I'd never had a cold version and it's amazing (it's the little things haha). It's funny though, the Starbucks staff were all wearing Santa hats...


I just didn't have the heart to tell them they were a month and a half early. Gotta love them for trying though! They really try to make the tourists feel at home. It's sweet. There is also a lot of great (super cheap) shopping in Patong! I was able to get lots of souvenirs for the family. Although Cailtin and I had a good chuckle at all the pillows and jewelry boxes they sell that say "Paris" and "London"...why would you ever buy something with a European city on it when you're in Phuket, Thailand?! We also got massages at a beautiful place in Patong that Caitlin knew called "Let's Relax"


I got a back and shoulder massage from a woman named "Bang-On". Seriously. I couldn't make this stuff up haha. Funnily enough I saw other masseuses with name tags that read "Hazel" and "Faith"..?

Afterward we got lunch at a place down one of the side roads that Caitlin and her family have been going to for over a decade! It's owned by a sweet little Thai woman, who actually knows fantastic English (this is not a common thing here). They've known each other for so long that she actually keeps Caitlin's family's DVD player for them for whenever they visit. There we had the most amazing butter and garlic fried mussels!! And delicious fried shrimp wrapped in crispy noodles.



This is actually my first seafood since I've been here (going to the hospital will make you a little skittish...haha) and I was NOT disappointed. I'm sure I'm putting all the weight I lost in hospital right back on, but it's worth every calorie haha.


This was the view from the tuk tuk on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment