Monday, December 2, 2013

Insert Foot in Mouth

This actually happened a couple weeks ago, but as Matt likes to remind me of it regularly, I decided it's embarrassing and funny enough to warrant its own post..

A couple weekends back Matt and I attended a birthday party on the beach at Cape Panwa for one of his friends.


Thanks to some steady pregaming at our friends' place beforehand and the fact that once you paid a flat rate you could mix your own cocktails...well lets just say we ended up pretty toasty.


The majority of the guests at the party were teachers at Matt's school. There were, however, lots of new faces as well. So as we're mingling Matt spots this one hot guy. We discussed it and both agreed we were pretty positive he was gay. He had been talking with this one girl and Matt goes, "she's his friend, lets talk to her, she'll know his deal." We approached her and introduced ourselves. We chatted with her a bit and then here's how the conversation went:

Matt: "Who was that guy you were talking with?"
Girl: "Oh that's James"
Matt: "What's his deal?"
[Drunk] Me: "He's definitely gay. There's no way he's straight."
Girl: *laughs then says something I unfortunately missed..*
[Drunk and Idiotic] Me: "Yeah there's NO way that guy's straight."
Girl: "He's with me."

...you see what she had originally said that I missed was "he's my boyfriend". Woops!
Luckily this was clearly not the first time she had heard this. She laughed it off (thank goodness!) Matt credits me with actually recovering remarkably well considering I should have just inserted my foot into my mouth at that point...
Me: (pause...) Well you would know! Haha. Nevermind!

I will say, while I was IN the wrong for telling this poor girl her boyfriend was gay...twice!...Matt agrees that I was not wrong. Trust us on that one. Nevertheless it was not one of my finer moments. And just to make sure I don't forget that.. every once and awhile Matt likes to remind me...
"Hey! Remember when you out-ed that guy to his girlfriend?"

Like I said, not one of my finer moments!

1 comment: