Monday, October 21, 2013

An Intro to Thai

Matt has taught me a few phrases and numbers in Thai. Wooo, brevity is definitely not their thing here. I suppose that should make this my country then? Haha. Yeah I thought Greek was hard when I back packed through there after college, but Thai is a whole new beast.

This is the extent of my Thai so far...

"sa wat dii kha" = Hello

"khob khun kha" = Thank-you

"nam plao" = Bottled water

"neung"         = one
"song"           = two
"sam"            = three
"si"             = four
"hah"            = five
"hok"            = six
"chet"             = seven
"paet"       = eight
"gao"          = nine
"sip"             = ten

No promises on the spelling there. I'm a work in progress. After those basic numbers, though, counting is surprisingly easy! It's basically just combining those numbers above, with the exception of twenty ("yee sip" instead of "song sip"), and when you're adding a one you use "et" instead of "neung" ("si sip et" would be 41, instead of "si sip neung")

Definitely not an easy language. It is very interesting to listen to though. I like the way the tone rises and falls, it's almost melodic. Unfortunately the more I travel, the more it seems clear that the English language is the ugliest haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment